This entry was posted on October 3, 2017
Braided Rosemary Bread
- 1 tbsp. dry active yeast
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. salt
- 3 to 4 rosemary stalks
- Sea salt
MATERIALS & TOOLS
- Large bowl
- Baking tray
- Parchment paper
- Wire rack
- Mix yeast, honey and ½ cup warm water in a large bowl. Let it sit for about five minutes until it becomes frothy. If nothing happens, that means your yeast is dead and you’ll need to start all over again.
- Add the rest of the water, flour, oil and salt and knead until you have a smooth dough.
- Cover the bowl with plastic and wait about 40 minutes or until the dough doubles in size.
- Divide the dough into three parts and roll out each part into a long sausage-like shape.
- Cover a baking tray with a sheet of parchment paper and put the dough on it.
- Press the three parts of the dough together at one end and place the rosemary on top of one part of it.
- Braid the other two parts around the rosemary and then press the ends together.
- Drizzle with olive oil and a sprinkle of sea salt.
- Let the dough rise for 25 minutes.
- While you’re waiting, preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack and serve.
Tips for Inspiration
- For a spicy kick, dip your bread in chili oil.
- Experiment baking in other herbs, like basil, thyme, oregano, tarragon and dill.